I worked out a couple times outside, (I LOVE our view!), got the kids on the bus on time every single day, Everett had to recover from a third-degree burn on his shoulders from not wearing his shirt while playing outside at a friend's house while we were in SLC (not impressed with that decision of his but I think he learned from it!), (hello longest run-on sentence ever), Skyped a few times with Daddy, monkeyed around the house, got eaten alive by mosquitoes (Mavi had over 80 bites at one point!), then Tyler and Grandma Janeway came to visit!
They flew in on August 19 and flew out August 24. While they were here Tyler got rescued by the Coast Guard at Honoli'i from being too far out and getting swept sideways, (he felt safe the entire time and didn't even know he was in danger until they picked him up), got bitten by a wild pig, and Asher and Tyler landed themselves in the ER. All in one day. Plus, Hurricane Lane decided to pay a visit while they were here and it rained 50 inches in three days. So we spent a lot of time cooped up inside while fury unleashed outside. School was cancelled for three days, and the boys thought it would be fun to take boogie boards outside and go down the river that was going down our hill. No one got too injured so I call it a win. We learned that the trampoline is still really fun when you can't see each other because the rain is falling so hard.
We fared really well during the hurricane. It never got really windy and despite the 4+ feet of rain, we weren't really affected. Our house is up on stilts and water did come in under the house, but not enough to really worry us. There were people in Hilo that didnt' fare so well and it caused a lot of damage and destruction throughout Hilo, but we were really blessed and safe through the whole thing!
Back to the ER story... we were at Rainbow Falls on Tuesday after school and Asher and Tyler were walking along a tall concrete wall. They tripped over each other and fell off into a pile at the bottom, about six feet below. Tyler landed on his head and Asher and Tyler both landed on Asher's foot. Tyler wasn't bleeding out so I was afraid he was bleeding in. I decided to run them both to the hospital which was within a mile of where we were. Fortunately, Lorraine was with us and was able to watch the other three kids while I tended to the injured boys! Tyler got a CT scan on his head and Asher got an X-Ray on his foot. Both images came back fine and we were released shortly after. It was a pretty painless ER visit as far as ER visits go! Oh, and while we were there, a construction worker came in and had sliced open his thumb pretty bad. The ER doc was so fun and engaging. He stitched the worker up right there and invited the boys over to watch. He taught us how to suture and walked us through the whole process. It was fun entertainment while waiting for the results.
In preparation for Lane, Lorraine and the boys all helped me clean up under the house. There was quite a bit of trash and recycling that needed to be taken down so Lorraine, Tyler, and Brayden made a couple runs down the hill for us. The boys earned the money from recycling and, since it happened to be my birthday, they used that money to buy me a pint of Tonight Dough..my favorite type of ice cream! It was such a thoughtful gift and I was so grateful for them!
![]() |
| Asher drew a crosswalk so they were playing on it while waiting for the bus. Does this remind anyone else of the Beatles? ;) |
![]() |
| Had to take advantage of the opportunity to teach this Oregon boy how to pump gas! Even if he is a little young ;) |
At the beginning of September the Adams Family moved away from Hilo. They ventured to Tel Aviv, Israel for a year so Jamee can get her Masters degree from Tel Aviv International University. We are so thrilled for their family and this adventure but I am so sad they had to go! We threw a "going away" party for Jamee and we invited all of the amazing women that influenced her life while in Hawaii for the past eight years. It was a beautiful evening where she honored all of us and made us all feel so special to her.
The week before they flew, the Adams' stayed at our house. This allowed them to clean out their house and get everything packed and cleaned before they moved. It meant a week of feeding them meals, watching the kids, and spending every spare moment helping them pack and clean. And I loved every minute of it. I love and adore this family so deeply and I am so grateful for every minute that we got to spend with them during this time. I am trying to figure out a way that Sean and I can get to Israel before they move back in a year!




























No comments:
Post a Comment