The trip started out with the Waites. I love that they live in the greater Phoenix area so that I am able to see them when I travel for work!
I only got to hang out with them for a few hours before I headed up to Flagstaff. The work this week consisted of a lot of meetings, meeting a lot of people, taking copious notes and soaking in as much adventure as I could squeeze in.
![]() |
| Hopi Taco on Blue Fry Bread |
![]() |
| This is the only irrigated farmland in all of Hopi Nation. This is in Lower Moencopi Village. |
While we were there, Tom, the President of Native Builders and my Navajo brother, gave me a Navajo name which means "The Exploding Mountain Woman" or "Woman from the Exploding Mountain." It was such an honor and a privilege.
![]() |
| Me with Thomas Tso, Brian Cole, Brian Kensley |
We watched the sunset over the canyon and Tom decided to check the tires before we headed out. Lo and behold, there was a flat tire. So we spent time fixing it then headed out on the slow and even more arduous journey out. It was a great team building experience, however, and I'm not sure I'd change it if I could! It was so great to have so much time with Tom and Brian and hear so many stories of the Navajo culture and people.
![]() |
| The road on the left is a road on Hopi Land. The road on the right is Navajo land. |
Had a meeting outside of Winslow, AZ and got to stay in La Posada Historic Hotel. And, of course, had to stand on the corner!
![]() |
| Scoping out a potential development site |
At the end of my trip a big storm was heading to Flagstaff. I had an early flight the next morning and wasn't convinved I'd get out of Flag on time. I caught a ride with a colleague that was driving down the hill anyway, and got a surprise extra night with Claire! She is such a good sport about me popping up last minute and letting me crash at her house...and then driving me to the airport! What are best friends for ;)
I am so grateful for my job. I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to visit Navajo and Hopi Nations and meet with my colleagues. I love learning and I loved being exposed to new cultures and ideas. And I love that God has provided me with an opportunity to provide for my family while experiencing these amazing things!









































No comments:
Post a Comment