Mom-I remember one summer day several years ago...you were so busy working outside...pulling weeds, pruning fruit trees, mowing the lawn, etc etc etc. Jessi and I were wanting to have a lemonade and cookie stand at the bottom of the driveway. We came and asked you if we could do one and you said "sure!" So we went inside and started on our big endeavor. We made cookies and lemonade, made a sign, grabbed a table, and put it all in the wagon and hiked it all down the driveway. We, being our young selfish selves didn't think to clean the kitchen before we went down the hill. I just remember having so much fun at the bottom of that driveway...waiting for the lone car to pass. (I think we made like $1.50 that day.) I then remember you walking all the way down the driveway to come support us. You bought your lemonade and cookie from us, even though it was all yours to begin with, and then you helped us pull our stuff back up the driveway. Then when we got home, we saw that you had cleaned the entire kitchen for us, even though we had spent our day playing, and you had spent yours working hard. I just remember the gratitude that I felt for you, and I remember thinking that I had the coolest Mom ever. Who else's mom would quit work early to clean up after her young daughter and friend, and then go help them with their lemonade stand? I just thought that was so cool.
Through the years, I have ALWAYS been able to look up to you. I respect you, admire you, and love you more than I ever could tell you. You have been the perfect role model to me as I start my journey of being a mom as well. I love that you aren't just my mom, you are my best friend. You always know what to say to make me feel better. You always know when to ask questions or when to let me figure things out on my own.
Thank you so very much, from the bottom of my heart, for being who you are, teaching me standards, morals, and values that I am honored to live by, and for being a constant beacon throughout my life. I love you Mom! I hope that one day, I can be a fraction of the mother that you are to me and my siblings.
Love, Kimberly Diane
1 comment:
You need to warn me ahead of time when you put things like this in. I sat here (at work) with tears in my eyes as I read (and remembered)the story you shared. I have fond memories of that day also. And what I did was nothing amazing . . . I love a good adventure as much as anyone and the lemonaid stand sounded like a grand adventure (on our street that only gets one car every 2 hours)!
I guess it doesn't take much for some of us.
It was a good day . . .
Post a Comment