We took Maverick in for his 15 month appointment. He had been teething all week and had a runny nose and was not feeling very well. He got a couple shots but fortunately didn't get the flu shot since they were out of his dosage!
Maverick Glen
Weight: 19 pounds 14 ounce (9th percentile)
Height: 30 inches (9th percentile)
Head Circumference: 46 1/2 cm (38th percentile)
He is still a lightweight, but he's gaining on the percentage scale, so I'll take it!
So his shots were on Wednesday. Thursday was a hard day for him with a fever and such and Friday wasn't any better. Friday evening we laid him down for bed and about 2 hours later he woke up screaming. We checked on him and he was burning up. We took his temp about 10 times and it read anywhere from 104 to 107. Being convinced that it was way higher than I was comfortable with, I rushed him to the Emergency Room. They got us right into triage and they checked his temp. It was 104 even. (I think I need a new thermometer.) They gave him some Motrin and after awhile got admitted to a room. He was sooo miserable. He hated the pulse/ox thing wrapped around his toe, and getting poked and prodded. He was screaming for a good hour. I finally got him calmed down just in time for them to check on him again. It was a hard night for him!
After another dosage of Tylenol, he finally calmed down and went to sleep. The doctor came in and checked him out. Ears, lungs, throat, stomach, heart, eyes. The doctor couldn't identify anything wrong and encouraged us to keep him on the Motrin and Tylenol until the fever went away. The doctor thinks that he was more than just "teething sick" when he got his shots and his immune system was just too weak to deal with it. Lesson learned! Postpone shots if they are under the weather at all!
After 2.5 hours in the ER we finally were able to come home. It took a few days for him to fully recover but he is healthy now and I'm so grateful that it didn't turn into anything bigger!



1 comment:
I hate trips to the ER with sick kids :( I'm glad he is feeling better.
Post a Comment