Whinese

English is no longer Brayden's language of choice. He switched to Whinese. Oh. My Goodness. This kid can whine. About 95% of the words that come out of his mouth are dripping with the high pitched, elongated vowels of whining. I have no idea how to reign it in but I need to figure out something. Even if he's not grumpy, any time he asks a question he reverts to this voice. It is getting on my very. last. nerve. 

Asher on the other hand, has reverted to temper tantrums. and crying. and I'm not sure why.

Actually, maybe I know. I'm sure the baby coming is affecting them. We are trying to have the  baby be as much of a positive thing to them as possible. They love love love hugging, kissing, and loving on brother. They bring him toys to set on my belly and share their blankets with him. They read him stories and sing him songs through my belly. They cannot wait to meet him. But I'm wondering if the pending changes are affecting them more than I realize. 

All I know is I'm exhausted, tired, and worn out...and add to that whining, temper tantrums, fits, adamant defiance and disobedience... I hope this phase ends soon.

Any and all advice is extremely welcome!

(Vent over.)


6 comments:

Stephanie Graham said...

Only a few more days (hopefully) left!!! You can do it... just think, at most it would probably be 14 days. That's nothing... you've got this! I bet they will be so excited when the baby does come, they won't even remember to be whinny and throw temper tantrums (one can hope, right?)

Hesses Madhouse said...

I've got the answer for you. The most any of my kids have ever whined is one day--unless I zoned it out before that. That's been known to happen, but once I called them on it, they were done. Whining is like my least favorite thing in the world--that and being ignored, so call me. I'll give you what we have done. It works pretty sweet.

Verenice said...

Just hang in there. We all are going through the same thing. And if someone else's kids looks more perfect than yours...they're not. They are all the same :)

The Figgins said...

My sister refuses to be able to understand what they are saying until they can say it in a not whiny voice. So every time they whine at her she tells them "I'm sorry, I can't understand you when you are whining. Can you try telling me again without whining?"

andreamichelle said...

I've tried what Jill put, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I agree with you kimberly, i HATE whining. And temper tantrums. Ethan goes through phases of different things like those, some days are worse than others. I keep telling myself that if I am firm and consistent in my form of discipline (time outs, etc.) that eventually this phase will pass. I wish it would happen immediately, but I think that rarely happens for parents....:)

jane said...

I don't have any tried and true advise, but Fiona is doing the whining thing too. I've started ignoring her when she whines then if she does it again I say, "I'm sorry Fiona, I can't understand you when you are whining." That seems to work 80% of the time. lol. Congratulations on the birth of little Everett, I hope he's doing well now and that hair is gorgeous!

Everett "Kamalani" Bradford Janeway

This past Sunday was a very special day for Everett. We didn't expect it to be, but it was. Auntie Shellie Nangayan is an Auntie in ...