Walking on Water

We spent the last week at a Harston Family Reunion at Ocean Shores. (HUGE post to come.) We got back to Enumclaw on Saturday, then we spent Sunday and Monday recovering. We have boogie boards and skim boards that we took with us, but we keep them over at my aunt and uncle's house next door, since they have an indoor pool. (Yes, we play with boogie boards in the pool.) My brother Scott was asked to return the boards to the pool, so him and Brayden went on a walk to deliver them. Scott went in the back way, so my aunt and uncle didn't even know he was there. He walked in, turned his back on Brayden for .3 seconds to lean the boards against the wall, and he heard a splash. Brayden had fallen into the 4 foot deep section of the pool. Scott saw Brayden completely under water, fully clothed, and hysterical. His eyes were wide open and he was thrashing around. Scott got down, reached into the water, grabbed Brayden's arm and pulled him out. Brayden started screaming, and my aunt and and uncle came running. It seems that Brayden held his breath while he was down there because he didn't spit out any water and he didn't need any reviving. He was alive and well, just very scared. 

I was in the living room when Scott brought him home. I heard Scott very nonchalantly come into the kitchen and say "Brayden just fell into the pool." I didn't know what he meant at first. The kiddie pool? The small water feature out front? I walked around the corner and saw that Brayden was drenched. I looked at Scott and said "Like...the big pool? Uncle Tom's pool? The deep one!?" He said yeah and although I wanted to freak out, I knew that would freak Brayden out. So I looked at Brayden and gave him a huge hug and said "Did you go for a swim!?" He said "Yeah, but Mom? I tripped and fell in the pool." 

I asked Scott what he think happened and he said that the pool had the gray tarp over it. He thinks that Brayden thought he could just walk on it. For the next couple hours Brayden kept saying "I fell in the pool!" He didn't seem to traumatized by it though. I think it helped that everyone kind of made light of it. 

I cannot imagine how traumatized I would have been if I were there, so I'm glad that I wasn't. But I am even more grateful that Brayden escaped unscathed. That is a scary scary thing!!

1 comment:

andreamichelle said...

that is very scary. I worry about Ethan because sometimes I think he would walk right off into the pools if we let him.

Everett "Kamalani" Bradford Janeway

This past Sunday was a very special day for Everett. We didn't expect it to be, but it was. Auntie Shellie Nangayan is an Auntie in ...