
A couple weeks ago I finished the book "The History of Joseph Smith, by his Mother, Lucy Mack Smith." It was awesome! It was the 2nd biography (if you can call it that) that I've read of significant people in the church. The first one being "The Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt." This isn't normally a genre of books that I read. However, after a friend suggesting I read the P. P. Pratt book, I decided I'd try it out. I LOVED it. It was super long, but it brought such a new insight to the beginning of modern church history. Then I had questions about a lesson in Relief Society and a lady in the ward brought by the History of Joseph Smith, and told me where to find the answers. Once I read those specific areas, I was hooked. I was so interested and intrigued with what I was reading that I went to the first page and read it straight through. It was a super easy read, and every chapter was filled with stories that I never had heard. It was so awesome to see Joseph Smith's life, from his mother's perspective. I feel like I got to know the brother, the son, and the husband Joseph Smith, rather than the Prophet Joseph Smith. It was a nice change, and brought about a whole new truth to the amazing man that he was. I still don't think that religious biographies are my favorite genre of book to read, but I did enjoy it, and will definitely read more biographies in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment