October 2017

October was a really fun month. The weather was beautiful and we got out in it quite often. With just Maverick at home, we have quite a bit of time to spend with him and I absolutely love it. It makes my heart sad thinking that he'll be in kindergarten next year and I won't have a little buddy to go on adventures with! On one of Sean's lighter studying days, he took Mavi surfing. He hated it. Sean only took him out on a couple small waves, but he cried the whole time. He finally took compassion on him and let him come sit on the beach with me. A few days later, I took Mavi on a hike into Onamea Bay with some girlfriends. It was such a beautiful day we had to get out! 




One of Asher's school projects was to make a diorama of an osprey. He got on YouTube and figured out how to make one out of origami. I was so proud of him and his creativity with this project. Well, the bird aspect of it anyway!


I absolutely love this big tree on the soccer fields. We have practice on Friday evening's at 5 and the lighting then is absolutely beautiful.  


We had a Saturday with nothing planned, and the weather was BEAUTIFUL. So we loaded up the kids and headed down to Carlsmith. Radio is the resident turtle that is always hanging out in the swimming area, and he joined us today! It is strongly recommended to not get within 10 feet of a turtle, but when you are swimming around and they come up to you, you can't really do anything about it. Well, Radio kept trying to nudge up against us and we had to move out of the way. He hung out with us for at least an hour. We got so many pictures with him, but we really didn't ever touch him unless he touched us :) 











After we got done in the water, we climbed coconut trees and played on the slackline for awhile. The kids are getting better and better!


We had planned a Saturday to head to Kona, but when we woke up that morning, we realized it was the day of the Kona Ironman. We didn't want to fight the traffic or crowds, so we decided to stay in Hilo. The problem was, it was DUMPING. We brainstormed to try to figure out what we could do with our free day and we came up with a brilliant plan. It would be a cooking day! We have been wanting to teach our kids for a while how to navigate the kitchen, but hadn't really dedicated time to it. Well, that was going to change today.

We got on Pinterest and each kid picked a recipe. Brayden wanted to learn how to make bread, Asher chose snickers caramel popcorn, Everett chose Mexican hot chocolate, and I chose a chicken tortilla soup in the Instant Pot. We all wrote up our ingredients lists and hit the grocery store. After getting everything we needed, teaching them about how to compare prices etc. when shopping, we headed home and made a mess of the kitchen. Brayden did about 80% of the work on the bread and made eight loaves! They were BEAUTIFUL and so so yummy. I rolled one of them, and he did the other seven! I was so proud of him, and he keeps asking when he can do it again. I just need to let him!


Asher had a lot of fun making his dessert. He enjoyed cutting up the mini snickers and melting everything together. He had a blast air popping the popcorn and didn't even mind cleaning up the mess afterward! What was cool about all of this was the excitement in the kids about cooking. The next day Asher got on Pinterest again and found another recipe. Chicken noodle soup. It was amazing! The next day he made mini chicken pot pies.


We decided to start paying them for every meal they cooked. Starting at $1 per meal, but as they get more independent and doing more and more on their own, we would pay them more accordingly. Hey, if I can encourage my kids to learn a skill that benefits me and saves me time, I'll take it!

We have had the sister missionaries over to our house more and more and we absolutely love it. It is so fun getting to know these girls as they are dedicating their lives to serving the Lord. We absolutely love having their sweet spirits in our home, but it sure does make us sad when they leave! This is Sister Downs. She is one of our favorites...can ya tell?


We threw Natalie a bridal shower at Aunty Bev's. It was so well done and so much fun! Fun games, delicious food, and so much fun socializing!

In the middle of set up in the morning, Everett had a soccer game so I had to leave for a bit. I sure do love watching this kid play. He is such a joy to watch! Mavi was exhausted so decided to take a little rest on the grass. He cracks me up.









Natalie and Kia watched the kids one night so Sean and I could go on a date. It was such a treat! We went to Jackie Reyes for dessert and man was it delicious. We got this brownie ice cream sandwhich roll with raspberry sauce drizzled over it and it didn't disappoint. I need to go back someday!

Halloween this year was so much fun. This is the third year in a row that we've gone trick or treating with the Adams. I think that officially makes it a tradition. We have so much fun with them and are so grateful for such great friends! We are totally spoiled with our trick or treating here in Hawaii. We can go out in shorts and short sleeve shirts, and the boys get sweaty in their full costumes as they go from house to house. I sure will miss this when, inevitably, the next place we live won't have the luxury of a tropical "winter."


No comments:

Everett "Kamalani" Bradford Janeway

This past Sunday was a very special day for Everett. We didn't expect it to be, but it was. Auntie Shellie Nangayan is an Auntie in ...