Keith leaves on Wednesday to go to the MTC! I can't hardly believe it. We wanted to do one last hurrah before he left so we decided to meet up at the Ape Caves, by Mt. St. Helens. Mom, Dad, Keith, Lisa, Quinn, Tyce, Kayla, Garrett, Lance, Paul, Sean, Brayden, Asher, Everett, Maverick, and I were all there. It was fantastic! We drove past the caves entrance and stopped at the Lahar Viewpoint, then we continued on to Lava Canyon. Lava Canyon was this 1.5 loop that was incredibly beautiful and scenic. There was an awesome river, a metal bridge then a really long suspension bridge. My camera died at the beginning of that hike so I didn't get very many pictures of that one. (I charged my battery so I got more pictures of the day!)
After Lava Canyon, we drove towards the caves and stopped at the Trail of Two Forests. We ate lunch then went on the 1/4 mile hike. When the mountain erupted, the lava (moulten rock) flowed down the mountain. It flowed around trees, which then caught on fire. The lava cooled before the trees were gone so there are perfectly circular holes in the rock where the trees once stood. The trees turned to charcoal and eventually went away but the holes are still there. This also happened with fallen logs. At the Trail of Two Forests there is a metal ladder that goes down into the ground. Then there is a tube that you crawl through on your hands and knees, and come out the other side. The kids had a blast and went through the tubes several times each. Even Everett went through!
After this, we finally headed to the Ape Caves. Regardless of how warm it is outside, (it was in the 80s) it is still about 40 degrees in the Ape Caves. The Ape Caves were formed about 1900 years ago. There is a lower cave and the upper cave. The Lower cave is the one we walked down. It is about 3/4 miles one way, where it finally just ends. It took us about 2 hours to go there and back. I think the kids had more fun playing with their flashlights than they did being in the cave!
After we were done with the Lower Cave, Quinn, Sean, Keith, Tycen and Kayla wanted to do the upper cave. It is a 1/2 mile there then you come up a ladder and hike back on the trail. This half mile though is a lot more intense. You have to crawl up and over huge rocks and at one point climb a rope. It's intense! (from what I've heard.) Mom, Lisa and I had fun just hanging out at the cars with the kids while they were at the Upper Cave. The kids had so much fun playing with their cousins. We definitely don't do it enough!
It was an awesome way to bid farewell to Keith. I know he's going to be an amazing missionary!
Lahar Lookout
Lava Canyon Hike
Trail of Two Forests Trail Head
Paul found this tree that he thought looked like a Donkey. "Come ride my donkey! It goes so fast!"
It was really warm outside and Maverick was pretty warm in his outfit. Grandma let him be naked for awhile and he loved it!
His eyes are amazing!
Brayden emerging from the tunnel. His smile was priceless!
The entire group (minus me!)
My cute parents. I love them!
At the very end there was a shelf. Sean, Quinn, and a few kids climbed up there. It went back quite a ways!
Everett was tired from all of the walking, so Garrett offered to carry him on his shoulders!
I sure do have the best family in the world! We love you Keith, and have fun on your mission!




No comments:
Post a Comment