Memorial Day Weekend was wet and rainy and cold. We had plans to spend the weekend on the lake, camping, hiking, and bonfire-ing. Well, that didn't happen. What did happen though was this...
My brother in law Quinn is slightly obsessed (or really obsessed) with Geocaching. He loves it, and he'll take any opportunity to expand his list of found caches. So this is what we did that weekend. Quinn, Natalie, Maui and I drove to the Nisqually Basin to find a cache in a sunken ship. You can only get to the ship at low tide, otherwise you would have to swim to it :)
This is the front end of the ship. It was made out of cement. (Weird.)
This is looking down through the man-hole. Q is looking for the cache.
While we were out there, a bald eagle landed really close to us. It was so cool! These are by far my favorite birds. Ever.
This is Q's Pirate face that he pulled the entire trip. He thought it was the coolest thing to be on an abandoned ship.
Since the ship is under water most of the time, it was filled with some pretty cool wildlife. It had dozens and dozens of starfish, as well as thousands of limericks, barnacles, clams, etc inside. It was fantastic!
The boat was broken in half, and this is how we got into the inside.
The hill that we had to climb down (and back up) was deadly. We definitely didn't dress for this hike. Flip flops and shorts were a bad idea. Even my running shoes took a beating. Hmph. It was super fun though!
On our way back up we actually found a rope to help us up the hill. I'm pretty sure this rope saved our lives.
I couldn't resist posting a couple pictures of my nephew Paul. He's adorable!!
While we were at my parents house we made honey butter. It was divine!! I'm not sure I'll ever buy store bought butter again. Seriously. It was that good.
Sunday night we went for a walk up to the mine shaft in the abandon mining town of Franklin. It is only a few miles from my parent's house and I love it up there. You can see the foundations of where the houses used to be. The trail in this picture used to be Main street, with houses and stores on both sides. The town has been abandoned for over 100 years. We got to the mine shaft right as it got dark. There is a huge steel grate over it, making it "safe" to stand on. We dropped the huge police glow sticks down between the cracks and it took about 8 seconds for them to hit the bottom. It was crazy to see! The plaque claimed it was 1300 feet deep. We sliced one of the glowsticks open to see if it would light up the walls. It kinda worked, but we'll definitely cut a bigger slice next time! The rocks up there are all covered in leaf fossils, and I can't believe that I have lived so close to it my entire life and had never gone!
1 comment:
I loved this post. It makes me sad that I live in Idaho. It's pretty dang ugly and boring here in comparison. :)
Post a Comment